Thursday, February 26, 2015

This was recently made for Emma Kate.


These were for Bella.

The red isfeatherwale corduroy and teh monogram is empire.

The "fabric" for the top was what was leftover from a sheet I had bought at Goodwill and used for another project and the black chevron was in my stash.

These next three were made for Madsion and all the fabrics were from stash as well.
The t shirt top was an upcylce from a knit top I made for myself a couple of years ago and is now too large.
This peasant top is also from a sheet from Goodwill. It is so soft.






Kwik Sew 2974

After doung some re ent sewing for three of the granddaughtes one of the grandsons asked me to make something for him. His mothere said he could use a shirtto wearwith a bowtie that he has. I have used this pattern many times and love the RTW details that it has. It has good easy to follow instructions as well. 

I think the sleeve placket may be my favorite RTW detail.



Monday, February 16, 2015

Fabric Headband

While perusing the Matilda Jane website the other day and admiring the fabric headbands I decided to make my granddaughter one to match an outfit I had just made her. I did a search on Pinterest and on Google and don't remember where I found the tutorial so I can't give credit for the specific one. There are a lot out they and they are all just about the same. I used the measurements given and cut my own pattern and made my own directions.

The pattern is cut on the fold. At the fold it measures 2 1/2 inches wide and at the narrow end it measures 1 1/4 inches and is 6 inches long. The elastic recommended and that I used is foldover elastic which was left unfolded. You will cut 2 pieces of fabric on the fold and a piece of elastic 10 inches long.  Where I differed from the tutorial is that I interfaced one of the pieces of fabric. Next time I will interface both pieces. 

After interfacing I sewed one long side with the fabric placed right sides together. 


Press that seam.

 
Then press up about 1/4 inch to the wrong side on both short ends.
 Then with right sides together sew the other long side. Use a large safety pin or your favorite tool for turning and turn. 

Press. 

Using my seger tweezers I push the end of elastic inti the opening about 1\2 inch. Stitch across the end 2-3 times to secure. Keeping the elastic straight insert the elastic the same way from the other end. 

Top stitch the long sides 1/4 inch from the edge. 


I think the headband may have been EK's favorite part of the outfit.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Shower Cake



     First, let me premise this by saying I am no cake decorator. I do,however , have a lot of hobbies in which I like to dabble . Occasionally trying my hand at basic cake decorating is one of those hobbies. There  was a baby shower at church this weekend and I signed up to make a cake. At first  planned to make a strawberry cakse and then decided to decorate a cake.
     I spent a little time browsing online and on Pinterest looking for ideas. I have a really good recipe for decorator frosting. My daughter got it when she took a cake decorating class for fun while she was in college.
One mistake I made-- or at least I am blaming it on this-- was I used 2 cake mixes to make the cake taller. I had to increase the cooking time and I think it made the cake dry. At least something made it dry and these cakes are usually moist.


     I did the crumb coating of icing first and then frosted the cake. Using tip #21 I did a shell type border on the lower edge and on the upper edge of the cake.


     I had already planned to use curly ribbon to decorate one corner because my decorating skills are limited I have to resort to "add ons". I had seen a baby carriage done on a couple of cakes and thought it was a cute idea so I decided to try to copy it.


     I used a custard cup to trace a circle on cardstock. Next I cut out a 1/4 of the the circle for he open part of the stroller. I also cut out 2 small areas on the lower edge of the stroller for the wheels.




    I laid it on the cake and took a tooth pick and lightly traced around the stroller. I mixed up a small amount of icing using a tiny tiny bit of royal blue cake coloring paste at a time to get the desired blue. I colored an even smaller amount with brown to do the wheels and handle.I think the tiny handle proved to be the most difficult to do. I pied the handle twice and neither time I didn't look right so it had to be scraped off and the icing touched up. 


In the end I almost didn't add his name because I was afraid to press my luck but it worked out ok. The mommy to be seemed to like the cake.