The denim I chose is a heavy cotton denim. Probably a 9 ounce denim. I prewashed and dried the fabric twice to help soften the denim and to shrink it as much as possible before cutting.
The last pair of jeans I made using this pattern was also the flare leg view and the legs were too wide. I adjusted the legs of the jeans but failed to adjust the actual pattern pieces. I removed about an inch or slightly more beginning at the hems and tapering all the way to just below the crotch.
I did my normal sway back adjustment to the pattern.
I used the gold cotton topstitch thread and a jeans needle for the topstitching. The inside seams are all serged.I just used a regular dual duty sewing thread for the other seams.The pockets in the pattern are plain so I made a template and traced lines for decorative stitching on the pockets.
Rivets on the pockets
I lined the pockets with a cotton print which serves two purposes. It is pretty and it also reduces the bulk in the pockets that 2 extra layers of denim would add. I used a jeans zipper and shortened by using the pliers in my husband's Leatherman.
When I made my first pair of jeans and was doing some research on the internet I found that a block of wookd and a hammer are your friend when sewing jeans. It helps to literally beat some of the bulk into submission. Just be sure to layer your jeans between to layers of fabric to prevent the hammering from leaving a shine on the jeans.