Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Shower Cake



     First, let me premise this by saying I am no cake decorator. I do,however , have a lot of hobbies in which I like to dabble . Occasionally trying my hand at basic cake decorating is one of those hobbies. There  was a baby shower at church this weekend and I signed up to make a cake. At first  planned to make a strawberry cakse and then decided to decorate a cake.
     I spent a little time browsing online and on Pinterest looking for ideas. I have a really good recipe for decorator frosting. My daughter got it when she took a cake decorating class for fun while she was in college.
One mistake I made-- or at least I am blaming it on this-- was I used 2 cake mixes to make the cake taller. I had to increase the cooking time and I think it made the cake dry. At least something made it dry and these cakes are usually moist.


     I did the crumb coating of icing first and then frosted the cake. Using tip #21 I did a shell type border on the lower edge and on the upper edge of the cake.


     I had already planned to use curly ribbon to decorate one corner because my decorating skills are limited I have to resort to "add ons". I had seen a baby carriage done on a couple of cakes and thought it was a cute idea so I decided to try to copy it.


     I used a custard cup to trace a circle on cardstock. Next I cut out a 1/4 of the the circle for he open part of the stroller. I also cut out 2 small areas on the lower edge of the stroller for the wheels.




    I laid it on the cake and took a tooth pick and lightly traced around the stroller. I mixed up a small amount of icing using a tiny tiny bit of royal blue cake coloring paste at a time to get the desired blue. I colored an even smaller amount with brown to do the wheels and handle.I think the tiny handle proved to be the most difficult to do. I pied the handle twice and neither time I didn't look right so it had to be scraped off and the icing touched up. 


In the end I almost didn't add his name because I was afraid to press my luck but it worked out ok. The mommy to be seemed to like the cake.

3 comments:

Bunny said...

Great job, Judy, perfect for the occasion.

Linda Thompson said...

Don't our cupboards provide some of the greatest drafting tools! I grab a saucer or plate when I need to round the corners on a quilt before binding.

Linda Thompson said...

Don't our cupboards provide some of the greatest drafting tools! I grab a saucer or plate when I need to round the corners on a quilt before binding.