Monday, February 16, 2015

Fabric Headband

While perusing the Matilda Jane website the other day and admiring the fabric headbands I decided to make my granddaughter one to match an outfit I had just made her. I did a search on Pinterest and on Google and don't remember where I found the tutorial so I can't give credit for the specific one. There are a lot out they and they are all just about the same. I used the measurements given and cut my own pattern and made my own directions.

The pattern is cut on the fold. At the fold it measures 2 1/2 inches wide and at the narrow end it measures 1 1/4 inches and is 6 inches long. The elastic recommended and that I used is foldover elastic which was left unfolded. You will cut 2 pieces of fabric on the fold and a piece of elastic 10 inches long.  Where I differed from the tutorial is that I interfaced one of the pieces of fabric. Next time I will interface both pieces. 

After interfacing I sewed one long side with the fabric placed right sides together. 


Press that seam.

 
Then press up about 1/4 inch to the wrong side on both short ends.
 Then with right sides together sew the other long side. Use a large safety pin or your favorite tool for turning and turn. 

Press. 

Using my seger tweezers I push the end of elastic inti the opening about 1\2 inch. Stitch across the end 2-3 times to secure. Keeping the elastic straight insert the elastic the same way from the other end. 

Top stitch the long sides 1/4 inch from the edge. 


I think the headband may have been EK's favorite part of the outfit.

3 comments:

Bunny said...

Cute, and easy too! Thanks, Judy.

Linda Thompson said...

Judy, thank you for the tutorial on the headband! I'm wondering if instead of doubling the interfacing, if just using the fusible fleece would work. Or, would it just get to warm when wearing it. Your warm weather and my DGDs heavy thick hair would have about the same factor.

Again, thank you so much!

Judy said...

Thanks, Bunny and Linda.
Linda,the fusible fleece might make the headbands too "fluffy" but it is worth a try. let us know if you try it.