Monday, December 29, 2014

Simplicity1499 made using anti pill fleece from Joann's. 

I didn't read the pattern instructions before purchasing fabric and the separating zipper. The pattern has a mandarin type collar which is finished with bias tape or binding as is the center front. There isn't a front facing. The pattern has you apply the bias or binding to the front  and collar and then topstitch the fronts to the zipper. Since I had not read the instructions I didn't take into consideratin that to do it the way I did that I would need to cut a facing and I did't have enough fabric to cut one. I used the same gray lining fabric to cut front facings that I used to line the pockets. I cut bindings from the fleece for the armhole facing. I also recut the collar to be more the type of collar that is normally seen on this type vest. The seperating zipper was not long enough to go all the way to the top of the collar. I doubt most people will notice that when I wear it. I made this for casual wear or for an added comfortable  layer at home. 


Thursday, December 18, 2014

Faux Fur Vest

Seeing so many of the faux fur vests on line this year I knew I needed one-- or a second one-- I made the first last year using fabric from a project that didn't go as planned.
I used Simplicity 1499 and made some changes. I omitted the collar, separating zipper and lining. I went to one of the local stores to look at faux vests before starting mine and was disappointed by what I saw. There was only one there and it was lined. Eventhough the lining had been understitched it stillpulled to  the front. As I told my DH I wouldn't have let that come out of my sewing room. The price on that vest was $70. Instead of the lining on this one I used strips of a gray interlock knit to make bindings. I turned the binding to the inside and stitched by machine. It looks fine from the outside but I may pick out that stitching and hand stitch. The inside would look much better.