Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Simplicity 1606




I had bought some of this fabric off the $ table at Walmart to make an infinity scarf in the winter. It washed well and had a nice drape so I went back and got 3 more yards. When I bought this pattern I knew this fabric would be perfect for it.

This is one of the Amazing Fit patterns and has the different pattern pieces for the different bra cup size. The bodice is lined but does not call for the skirt to be lined. I decided to line the skirt as well.

I don't know about of you but with the Big Three patterns I find I have to cut 2 sizes larger than I wear in RTW. I currently wear a 6 or 8 just depending on the garment. I cut a size 12 because I knew I could take it up but couldn't add more fabric.I ended up having to take it up under the arms by about 1 1/2 inches tapering to the waist seam.
The pattern also calls for a 14 inch zipper with the zipper inserted stopping about 4-6 inches from the neck. I used an 18 inch incisible zipper and extended it to the neck and did a button and loop at the very edge.


I shortened the dress by about 2 inches.




The pants are McCalls 6571 again. This time made from ponte knit from Joann's. These have a different drape than the previous ones. I like these just as well. The top is one I made last year. The pattern is Simplicity Sew Simple 1639. The fabric is a chiffon.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Denim Capris and Wrap Top



The capri pants are Butterick 5614 and the fabric is a light weight denim from Hobby Lobby. I had wanted a pair of capris from a light weight denim last year and never found any so I decided to make them. This pattern is a Fast and Easy pattern it makes up quickly with this view having 2 front darts and 2 back darts with a side zip. I used an invisible zipper since I wanted it lay flat at the side seam.

The blouse is Vogue 8833 made from a recycled cotton sheet from Goodwill. It is the softest fabric. I had a little problem with the facing and collar but feel like it was my mistake though I still haven't figured out what I did wrong. There are several reviews for this pattern on Pattern Review and no one else mentioned the problem. The pattern has you sew the front facing to the fronts up to the circle. You then clip to the circle and turn the facing to the wrong side and press. Then you sew the shoulder seams. where this has been clipped and turned leaves the seam allowance for the collar. On both ends the collar lacked about 1/2 inch coming to the end of the seam allowance. I removed the collar and unpicked the shoulder seams releasing the facing. I then sewed the collar on and enclosing it in the seam. It looked much better and I think it is a better way to attach the collar and sew the facing.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Palazzo Pants

I decided yesterday morning that I was behind and needed to make myself some palazzo pants  so off to the fabric store I went-- of course after first perusing Pinterest.

I had McCalls 6571 and have used it for the top but not for the pants. It is a one piece pant. I used view c which has a wider leg and a dart where each side seam would be.This gives some fitting at the elastic waist without all the fullness.  

I found this black and white jersey knit and it draped well and I decided to go with it.
Once I had the elastic on I ended up removing about 2 inches from the upper edge of the waist. I like them to come just below the belly button. I used a 2 inch black elastic  that is topstitched. I am short so I ended up shortening these about 2 1/2 -3 inches.

I like the fit and will make another pair of these in black.


 

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Embroidered Raglan Daygown

This sweet little pattern is from The Old Fashioned Baby line of patterns by Jeannie Baumeister. It is the Embroidered Raglan Daygown for infant size 7-18 pounds. It has 3 views and I made view 2 but omitted the embroidery at the hemline. There is a version with gathers at teh neckline and long sleeves and a version for boys.

The fabric is 100 percent cotton broadcloth and the lace is lace and entredeux are cotton and from www.cottonlace.com.  I wanted to use ecru lace and embroidery on the white but only had whtie entredeux.  I decided to tea dye the entredeux. I did this simply by puttin the lace in a bowl and pouring some cold unsweetend tea straight from the refrigerator on top. I let it set ovbernight and in the morning I washed the tea out let it dry and ironed it. I think it came out to be a good match.