Tuesday, September 16, 2014

If you like the Chicken Tortilla Soup at McAlisters this a good knock off.




Chicken Tortilla Soup


1 pound of cooked shredded chicken-- I use boneless skinless chicken breast
1 can enchilada sauce(I use Old ElPaso)
1- 15 oz can whole tomatoes- mashed
Med onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
4 oz can of chopped green chiles
1 can chicken broth( I use fat free)
2 cups water( I usually sub fat free chicken broth for more flavor)
1 can cream of chicken soup( I use fat free)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2-3 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 of a 10 oz bag of frozen whole kernel corn


 Put all in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.


 When the soup is almost done If I want it a little thicker I take out about 1/4 cup of the liquid and mix with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour to make a roux and add back to the soup and stir well. If there are little lumps they will dissolve as it cooks. (Add the roux 1/2 at a time until soup is the desired thickness)


 This freezes well. I freeze in 1 cup portions for lunch. When frozen you can pop out of the container and drop all the servings in a gallon freezer bag. When ready to eat take out a serving and place in a bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes on high, It will still be kind of frozen but you can break apart with a spoon. microwave another 2 minutes and it should be ready to eat.



I have calculated this to be about 4 points for a serving on Weight Watchers.

2 comments:

Linda Thompson said...

Judy, forgive me for being totally ignorant...do you add some tortillas or just what when serving? I don't browse when I'm shopping, have I seen those little strips and is that what you use?

Judy said...

Linda, i usually eat it alone. When i've had chicken tortilla soup at McAlister's it us served with the strips of fried tortilla chips. You can easily make your own by cutting the corn tortillas in strips and frying or baking.