Thursday, June 5, 2014

Self Drafted Batwing Top




While I do have a pattern for this style top it is not necessary to use a pattern. It is just cut on the fold in the shape of half an oval with the lower edge not too rounded. once you look at a top that has been made or the pattern piece it is easy to understand. I certainly did not develop this style of top. I had the sales person at Joann's measure me from elbow to elbow with my arms outstretched to get the width of the upper edge across the shoulders. I cut this top with the shoulder edges on the fold side using 60 inch fabric. If you have a one way design or are worried about the stretch you can certainly open the fabric up and fold the length of the fabric having the selvages on either side. I am normally a stickler about the grainline but it doesn't seem to matter with this top. The fabric is an ITY from Joann's. I guessed at the neck and tried it over my head and cut a little more making the front a little lower than the back.

I used the rolled edge stitch on my serger and serged around the neck and outer edges. I marked the seams at the sides using my waist measurement plus 4 inches for ease. I divided that by 4 and marked from the center point . Top stitch these seams and you are done.
 This is  a little diagram of what the pattern piece should look like. I honestly don't even cut a paper pattern and just cut the fabric. You can see the shoulders are on the fold. The dotted line down the center is just for measurement purposes. I measure from this line to mark the stitching lines. If you don't have a serger or like me at times and just don't want to bother with changing the thread on the serger you can finish the edges with a narrow zig zag stitch if it is a knit. You can also do a narrow hem at the neck and outer edges.



1 comment:

Bunny said...

I love it, Judy. Great tute. This is a great way to use some of those pretty poly chiffons that are out there. Thanks.