Wednesday, March 26, 2014

New Look 6232-- Charcoal Gray Chambray



Pattern Review is currently having a fitted shirt contest which I joined. 






I decided to use New Look which I have used 3 times. It is a TNT pattern which I have made a couple of usual alterations to it that I usually make -- the narrow shoulder adjustment and remove some of the sleeve cap ease.  This narrow shoulder adjustment on this pattern is a little different since the pattern has a yoke. You can see a tutorial for narrow shoulder adjustment here.


 I also have learned to measure and remove the extra sleeve cap ease from the Big 4 patterns.  It is my understanding that you should only have about 1 1/2 inch ease in the sleevecap. It makes it so much easier to ease in the sleeves. I removed about 3/4 inch from the sleeve cap. I also shortened the sleeves as well as adding a tab and button to the sleeves to roll the sleeves up for summer.

I found this charcoal gray chambray at Walmart on clearance and thought it would make a good basic wardrobe addition. I also knew I had already made a blue chambray shirt with this same pattern for a sew along on a sewing group.


I failed to realize how much the 2 shirts would look the same until I was in the process of sewing. The difference is quite obvious when side by side though. I can see this shirt paired with white capris or white shorts this summer.

5 comments:

Bunny said...

Really nice work, Judy. Is this the one for the contest?

Angela Lee said...

I don't know how I missed this one. I love this gray! It will be very versatile.

Judy said...

Thanks, Bunny and Angela.
Yes , Bunny, this is my entry for the contest.

sew2pro said...

Your shirt looks great! You've fitted perfectly and the close-up shows your stitching is to a high standard.

Chambray is lovely, isn't it?

GOod luck in the contest.

Judith said...

Lovely shirts, you will get a lot of wear out of those colours ... J