Thursday, February 20, 2014

Upcycled Dress

This past weekend my daughter asked if I could use this dress to make something for my 8 year old granddaughter. I said I was sure I could make something out of it. The fabric is really pretty. The origianl dress is a size small maxi dress and the remake is a girl's size 10/12.

I looked around on Pinterest for ideas and came across a dress called Marissa by Sis Boom. I don't have that particular pattern but after spending a little time looking at the dress on Pinterest I decided I could do a knock off without a lot of trouble. The neck and shoulders were really the only thing I wasn't sure of. I did a search and found a sew along for this dress on The Scientific Seamstress and the neck was made pretty much as I thought.
The dress has a slip/lining in the coral color in batiste and the outer fashion fabric is  a voille type fabric. I cut the top off the dress and threw it away. I used part of the slip to cut the outer layer of the cumberbund. I had a light tan sheet left over from another project that I used to line the bodice and used the slip/lining from the original dress for the skirt lining.

 I am still unsure of my measurements and this dress may be too large when my granddaughter tries it on but maybe I can either alter it or she can grow into it.

BEFORE                                                             AFTER

No comments: