Wednesday, April 24, 2013

New Look 6803 for spring








With this dress I was able to combine 2 of my hobbies-- sewing and thrifting. I wanted to try this New Look pattern so this is a wearable muslin.  The fabric is a twin size cotton sheet from Goodwill that I paid $1.99 for.
I have recently lost some weight doing Weight Watchers and am still in the process and want to lose about 10 more pounds. I was happy to move down a size in the pattern. I often wonder if anyone else has to do the same thing as far as size. In any of the big 3 patterns I cut 2 sizes larger than my RTW size and the sizing usually works.
Due to the fullness in the style of dress i had to take it up some in the sides and shouldn't have removed any from the armholes. It made the dress a little snug in the armholes and resulted in pull across the bust. I removed the armholes bindings and trimmed about 3/8 " off the armhole tapering to nothing at the shoulder seams and replaced the bindings and it fit great.
For the belt I used one of the decorative stitches on my sewing machine to add a little extra.



No comments: