Saturday, August 11, 2012

Antique Cabinet Redo



My son in law gave me this antique cabinet and I decided to refinish it. Now, let me say furniture refinishing isn't my favorite thing to do but I am pleased with the way it turned out. 
     First, I tried using a paint stripper but very little stripped off. I guess there wasn't any varnish to strip. So then I moved on to sanding. I used a belt sander with 150 grit sand paper to sand with. It really didn't take a lot of sanding. 
     Next, a coat of stain went on. I  used Minwax stain from Lowes followed by 2 coates of a water based polyurethane. Between coats of polurethane I used steel wool to smooth out rough spots. The interior was painted chocolate brown.
    The final touch was doing tin punch panels to replace the glass in the doors.  Tin punch is really pretty simple to do. This is done on flashing. A design was used from a book on tin punch. You find the center area where you wan tto apply the tin punch. Tape your design down. The design will be a series of dots or lines usually. Use an awl to punch the dots and a flat head screw driver can be used to punch the lines. One of the most important things to remember is to try and apply the same pressure on each hole so they come out approxiimately the same size. the panels were then stapled into place.

The cabinet is now residing in my sewing room.

                                       Before

                                       After (there is  a glare on the tin-- it isn't warped     like it looks in the pic)

Supplies:

Tin Panel:

No comments: