Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An upcycled apron for E K


As most little girls do, my 6 year old granddaughter Emma Kate likes to play restaurant and be a waitress. And what does a waitress need-- An apron of course. It also required pockets to hold her order book and pen.
The other night they came by for a visit and they brought a pillowcase and ribbon and asked if I could use that to make an apron. Well of course I was sure I could.

So this is what I came up with and I think it is pretty darn cute.

First, I turned up the open end of the pillowcase because it had such a cute border. I turned it up 8 inches and topstitched  the sides.  then I sewed 2 more vertical lines to form pockets.

Then, I moved up about 4 inches and cut off the top of the pillowcase.

Next ,I cut a band 5"x14" and gathered the apron to fit this leaving the band extended 1/2 " past the apron on each end. After sewing the apron to the band- I turned the band right sides together after turning up a  1/2 " hem on the band and sandwiched the ribbon in the ends and sewed the ends. Then top stitch the band where it meets the apron. And we are done.




I think she will be a happy little girl when she sees her apron.


Thanks for stopping in,
Judy

I linked to Todays Creative Blog

Today's Creative Blog

6 comments:

Lindley said...

That's cute! She will be a well dressed waitress!

Judy said...

Yes she will. She really liked it.

Lisa said...

Absolutely adorable! I want one!

Judy said...

Thanks Lisa, I didn't hurt that I started with a really cute pillowcase.

Rettabug said...

Well, I think its pretty darn cute too! Wonderful colors & patterns. Please grab your camera, Judy so we can see her reaction & her modeling it

Judy said...

Thanks ,Rett. she did like it. She made me a pair of earrings for making it. Sweet girl.