Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kitchen Cabinets Redo


This has been a super busy spring so far. For the past couple of years I have wanted to change my kitchen cabinets but just didn't know what to do to change them. You see when we built our house 25 years ago I knew exactly how I wanted my cabinets to look. I wanted the top door to have tin punched inserts. My husband and father in law built my cabinets and tried to change my mind thinking the punched tin wouldn't hold up to use. Our kids were small at the time and the cabinets have seen a lot of use over the years but the tin did hold up. It just became outdated long before i could decide what to do to change it.

Finally, while surfing the internet one day I saw some cabinets with recessed panels and the light bulb went off. I knew what needed to be done. It was still winter and I wanted to wait til spring so the windows could be opened for the fumes. Insert to add: you should have seen my husbands eyes roll when I told him about the project. i insured him it would not be bad. I knew it would be but I knew I had to remain positive-- after all I would need him to cut the panels for the inserts-- he needed to be on board.

Before:



The first thing I did was to take everything out of the cabinets and remove the doors and drawers.  then I removed the hinges and knobs and cleaned the cabinets with a TSP substitute to remove the grease and grime.  I took the doors and drawers out to the shop out of the way and painted them last because I knew it would take longer to do those.




I sanded the cabinet bases which took about 3 days and wiped really well with a tack cloth.

In the mean time DH was removing the tin panels and cut wood panels for the recessed panel part of the doors.






Then the doors were cleaned,sanded and painted. The hinges were also cleaned.  I ordered new knobs from Ebay.






The shelf was also painted. It originally was very country with heart shaped cutouts. I purchased the 4 inch tiles and stamped with a fleur Des Lis and sprayed with a clear sealer. I'm not 100 % sold on the shelf so I may take it down and do something different in this area of the kitchen.
I am pretty well pleased with how the project turned out.  We will replace the counter top soon with something dark. I also need a new vent hood. I really wanted a microwave/vent-hood but there isn't enough space so a vent hood will work.


Thanks for visiting....
Judy


                                                        
                                                                    

6 comments:

marilyn said...

Judy the kitchen looks fantastic!!!

Ellie Inspired said...

Wow Judy, what a transformation!! When you said you were busy painting, I had no idea you were doing all this! It looks great! Do you hate to make a mess in it or does it inspire you to cook more?? :)

Rettabug said...

Holy Cow, Judy!!! That is a remarkable transformation. I'm astounded at the difference it has made for you. BRAVO to you for living through the mess & coming out with a brand new kitchen. It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris said...

Wow Judy! That is an awesome change in your kitchen! I love white cabinets, they look so clean and fresh.

The sewing room said...

Hi i thought i would leave you a comment after reading your lovely blog ,i too make clothes for my grandchildren, a lovely baby girl Chloe was born just this afternoon that brings the grand total to eight so i will be busy as usual.I love your kitchen it looks so bright I too have just had a new kitchen and that too is white and looks so fresh,well take care hugs Pat

xyzseira said...

Kitchen cabinet makes your kitchen space-efficient for it allows the space to be more stackable of things needed for conveninent usage on different kitchen-based activities.